Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Only Tiny Things

This is my other blog where I'm now posting photos of tiny things I've captured with my DSLR.  I would use either my trusty Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens which can do macro photography to some degree or my Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 lens with or without a barrel extension.  The Nikkor 105mm is really great for the really small things like tiny bugs and when you add the barrel extension, you can go even deeper into the micro world.  The biggest problem with macro photography is light and depth of field.  Depth of field with the 105mm at f/2.8 is super short so you'd have to reduce the aperture down to f/16 or smaller to get more of the subject in focus.  In doing so though, and if the subject is not dead, you'd have to use a flash gun.  Having a flash gun on the hot shoe works but it's not great because it's behind the lens.  You really need to light up the scene that you're capturing.  I do sometimes use something to bounce the light around or use remote triggers to activate my flash gun to the side of my camera.

Anyways, my tiny things are posted in my Only Tiny Things blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.