Friday, March 3, 2023

How to Clean the Lens Filter


How do you clean your camera lenses?  That was something I was worried about when I first bought a DSLR I believe back in 2007.  I was so worried about smudging it and dirt landing on it I went out to buy some lens cleaning kit.  The kit was pretty simple though--an air blower and a brush.  I didn't want to use any lens cleaning fluid for some reason.  In retrospect and after over 120K shots, I came to realize it wasn't all that important.

My 18-200mm always had a Hoya UV filter on so the lens was never exposed to the elements.  Sometimes though, specs of dust do creep in between the lens and the filter.  I'm not sure how but they do.  It's possible simply because I did have to remove the lens filter every now and then to clean it.

Cleaning the lens filter didn't require anything fancy.  I intially used the brush and if there is any dirt that seems to stick around, I ran the filters under water with a bit of soft soap.  I'd wet the filter with water first, then lather up the soap with water before applying it on the filter just as you would when washing your car.  I'd let the water run down the filter and it would remove all of the soap.  Soap is a bit abrasive but I never really had to clean it often so no scratches that I can see so far.  I'm sure microscopically, there are some scratches but it's really nothing.  I haven't seen anything on pictures I take.  I do the same soap cleaning method for my eyeglasses by the way.

If my lens needs to be cleaned though, I'll probably need to use lens cleaning fluid and a microfiber tissue.  There is no way I'd use soap on the lens itself.

I got my Hoya filter from Henry's before but you can get the same filter for cheaper now from Amazon:  https://amzn.to/41KDqPZ.  Don't get the cheap brands.  It makes a difference to the colours you capture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.