Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Is the Nikon D50 Dead?

I have a Nikon D50.  It has been sitting in the drawer for the last 15 years, I think?  I took it out to check that it's still in working condition.  It was dead.  Well, the battery was dead.  It was self-discharging all these years.  I still have the charger so I charged it up.  It's back up and alive now.  No problem whatsoever.

The D50 is a 6.1MP camera.  It feels heavy in your hand.  Very solid construction.  Battery life is great.  It's a great camera for street photography.  It takes only SD cards up to 2 GB but image files are small so that's completely fine.  (You can get a Sandisk 2GB SD from Amazon here:  https://amzn.to/3YuP0M8).   It's a great camera still I think--remember the megapixels aren't that relevant for most of the stuff you do and what matters most is that stuff 6 inches behind the lens!

If you don't have a DSLR and want to learn photography with a DSLR, I'd say grab a D50 or something like that.  It's super super duper cheap now.  You can find one for $50 or maybe even less.  Add a nice 50mm f/1.4 lens and you'll have a fun camera to play around with!  On the cheap, you could find an 17-55mm kit lens which probably goes for $50 used also nowadays.

To get you started with a D50, check out this cool video I ran across:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs0pAI0ZS5g.  By the way, the reviewer in the video doesn't like the neck strap--neither do I!

The D50 is still a great camera.  Alas, it will stay in the drawer because I have a D7200.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.