Saturday, March 11, 2023

Choosing the Right Mirrorless Camera

The image to the left is of a Nikon Z 50.

If there will be a time when I switch to using a mirrorless camera, here is one thing that I will definitely have to have:  an electronic view finder with a diopter dial.  Coming from a DSLR world, I find it so much easier to shoot when the camera is held up to my face.  The act of holding it that way means I would have to hold the camera in a certain way that is stable.  The camera would sit comfortable on my left hand while my arm is tucked into my side of my chest creating a stable platform for the camera for the not so fast exposures.  Because I wear eyeglasses, it would be beneficial to have a diopter dial to adjust the eye focal length for when either I'm not wearing my eyeglasses or my eyeglasses becomes underprescribed.  There is nothing worse than a blurry image in the viewfinder.

So, why a viewfinder anyway?  For many case scenarios, it'd be fine to take photos with just the LCD but on a bright day, the LCD will look washed out.  Have you ever tried to review a picture in bring sunlight?  It's next to impossible to see anything.  You'd have cup your hand over the LCD and even then it's not that easy.  Also, having a viewfinder means more stability for fast action scenes when you can train your camera along the path of motion, being able to follow a subject with ease.  Forget that if you hold the camera a foot away from your face.  I think, for myself, my camera would be shaking too much to be able to track smoothly, and secondly, I can't look at things a foot from my place without removing my eyeglasses!

If you're buying a mirrorless camera, think of the EVF.  It's a great feature!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.