Monday, March 6, 2023

How Can a Point-and-Point Cost as Much as a DSLR?

A number of years back, I saw this Sony RX100 point-and-point. It was compact and it was one heck of a camera that could pull a punch. I looked at it because someone I knew was going to go on a trip. I looked around for a all-rounder that could take superb pictures during the day as well as at night. The Sony RX100 looked very promising. It wasn't too expensive. Well, it was expensive compared to other point-and-shoots but quite affordable for the capabilities it packed. I didn't buy it myself but recommended it. Today, I'm seeing the same camera but a few versions later. It's at version VII. It's still a point-and-shoot with a longer zooming lens and a better stacked sensor, but essentially the same beauty that I saw those years ago. What made my gulped though was the price. How could a point-and-shoot cost over $1400?! Did they just price them out of the market? For some, this is the perfect camera for travelling--it is super light and small enough to fit in a pocket. If I have spare change of $1400, I'd certainly get one of these but I'd give it second thought since I could get a mirrorless camera or a DSLR for that much as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.