Tuesday, March 7, 2023

BlackBerry Z10

I have I think a now 10-years-old BlackBerry Z10 phone.  It has a quality camera.  It has 16GB of storage.  It has a GPS and WiFi antennae.  It can run Android apps.  It's got a super secure operating system based on QNX.  And, that's pretty much it.  It's old.  The battery has swollen a little and I don't use it for taking pictures anymore. But, it's not useless.

Do you know what you can use it for?  I find its back camera to be really good for day and night use.  In looking for a dashcam for my car, I thought I could repurpose my Z10.  I loaded a dashcam app called DroidCam and I loaded Google Maps on it.  So, the Z10 has found a new purpose in life.  It's my GPS navigator with offline maps, and it's my dashcam!


I mounted the camera on my dashboard using one of those camera holders with a suction cup.  The suction cup would hang on to the windshield.  I was lucky to be able to pick one up for $5 from Canadian Tire a few year ago and it worked ok.  Amazon has a good one here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.