Saturday, March 4, 2023

Decline of the DSLRs

As per my observation from salability of DSLRs on Kijiji, it would seem that there has in fact been a huge decline in the use of DSLRs.  The following is a screenshot of the top five camera types used on Flickr as of March 4, 2023.  The graph says everything. Where is my DSLR in the list?  Where is any DSLR?  The Canons and Nikons used to dominate this graph as I remember it.

Source:  https://www.flickr.com/cameras


It's amazing how the iPhone has taken photography by storm.  It's no surprise though:  the megapixels, image processing, convenience, beautiful pictures.  Even myself, I use my phone more often than my DSLR because the best camera is the one that's on you.  My phone is no where close to the capability of my DSLR but it has taken beautiful HDR pictures very simply at times when the DSLR was struggling.

Even the mirrorless cameras aren't making it to the top of the list.  The mirrorless camera is like a point-and-shoot, essentially what a phone camera is.  The convenience and availability factors make it clear why phone cameras are the first choice for most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.