Friday, March 3, 2023

Chinese DSLR?

 I was curious, very curious, to know if there are any Chinese manufacturer of DSLRs.  I mean, I've only seen the big Japanese and German names out there for the past twenty years and not paid attention to anything else, until recently.  So, I looked up Google and guess what I found!

Yi Technology from China developed a mirrorless micro four-thirds camera--ok, it's not a DSLR but close enough.  There were quite a few reviews I've seen about this camera.  Some liked it and some didn't like it so much.  One thing I concluded from those reviews is that it's a cheap camera for the casual photographers.  The zoom lens that came with it is not great, having difficulties with focusing and lacks the sharpness in more expensive lenses.  You could however add any of the expensive lenses like the Leica to it and you'd get a good (not great) combo. 

I was interested in getting a copy to play with as it's so light and small but alas, there is nothing on Kijiji or Amazon.  It's strange because there is a ton of other, cheap Chinese (not necessarily mirrorless) cameras and action cameras on Amazon.  I don't know if anyone in Toronto has one or if they did, perhaps they threw in the eRecycling box already.  There hasn't been any reviews since 2016/2017.  It looks like this camera didn't go very far.  There was a hype about six or seven years ago because of its price but like a ghost, it disappeared mostly from the North American market.  I did spot a copy on Amazon India's website.  It didn't get great reviews there.  So, it came with a bang and left without telling anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.