Sunday, September 1, 2024

How to Back Up Your SD Cards on Trips?

Here is a tip for those who loves taking pictures or videos with their camera, GoPro, or drone when travelling without the weight of their laptop:  use your phone and a USB drive!

When I travel, I leave my laptops at home.  They're heavy and clunky.  I try to stay disconnected from work as well so I don't really want to bring a laptop along because chances would be that I'd be checking my work emails while on the road!  Instead, I'd just bring an iPad along for looking things to do or reading some local news.  Along with the iPad, I'd have my phone with me.

But, the question is, how will you protect the photos or videos you take?  I've lost photos a couple of times because my SD card crapped out on me.  I might have overused them and I know not to do that anymore.  Even then, there is a small chance that I could lose my photos from theft or other damages.

The solution is a USB hub with On-the-Go (OTG) capabilities.  I have a Samsung A32 Android phone that supports OTG and all that I'd need is a USB hub.  So, here is my setup now:

1) Samsung A32 phone

2) Benfei USB hub bought from Amazon here:  https://amzn.to/3AGPyZe

3) USB drive--I bought a 1TB NVMe SSD with a USB NVMe enclosure:  https://amzn.to/3X7QNs6 and https://amzn.to/3Xq6bkN

The Benfei USB hub has support for both the micro SD and SD cards.  It also has power delivery so you could keep your phone charged while it transfers files from an SD card to the USB drive.

Just connect everything up to the USB hub and the Samsung phone will see both the USB drive and the SD card.  Simply use an app like File Explorer to manage your files to transfer the files over.

Simple and light!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Potensic Atom Follow-Me Mode

The Potensic Atom's Follow-Me mode is one of its "intelligent flight" modes.  It's a really nifty feature that uses visual...