Thursday, December 27, 2007

Underground


On our way to Austin, TX we stopped by the Inner Space Cavern. This cavern was discovered by accident by the Texas Highway Department back in 1963. They were drilling for 6-inch core samples to determine whether the ground would support a highway overpass. Lo and behold, when their drilling bit suddenly dropped 26 feet, they knew they had found something else.

Texas has many caves. This is the first I have visited (and first cave ever). I would recommend anyone to take a tour. The tour was great. I only wished they had given us more time to take pictures and absorb the wonder of natural earth development of the underground world. I also wished they allowed for tripods -- all the photos I took were on a monopod or handheld with a flash. Flash is ok if you had time to set it up properly. The underground world is not very flat and not small.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.