Sunday, April 8, 2012

50mm

I am starting to get used to shoot with a 50mm alone.  For a long time, I have always trusted my Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens.  I would shoot everything and anything with the 18-200mm.  Coupled with a flash gun, I have a lot of fun with it anywhere and anytime, indoors and outdoors, any time of the day.  I am quite comfortable with it.  I know its limitation and like its zooming capabilities over a wide range, and thus, I never like shooting with anything else, even when I have a 17-50mm f/2.8 lens.

I have to say I am starting to like the 50mm f/1.4 more and more these days, partially because of the f/1.4 (more light, faster, and smoother bokeh), partially because it makes you work harder to get your picture, and partially because it's a good portrait lens on a crop sensor body.


For now, I have it attached to the D90 body.  I try to shoot at ISO less than 1600 with an f-stop around f/1.8.  In most situations, it is a very fast lens at those settings.  The whole combo is small and feels like fun to use.  Over the last couple of outings, I try to force myself to take the D90 around with me instead of the D7000.  I will kick myself in the derriere when I run into this situations that require a wide angle lens though.

(BTW, I should really attach the 50mm to my D7000 and use my D7000 instead of the D90 but because the D7000 has a battery grip that I do not want to remove, the D7000 would feel too big for the 50mm.  I am using the 18-200mm on the D7000 so that the slower lens can be compensated by the higher ISO capabilities of the D7000.)

5 comments:

  1. Since I'm stuck with 1.8g lens, I hate you!!! I saw a couple of jokers on Kijiji and Cragslist selling their used gears for about the list price... $@#$@$!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I saw some guy selling the 1.8G for $250 when Aden Camera sells it for $245 new. :) B&H Photo sells it for under $195. What a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I was on Craigslist a couple of days ago and found this Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 lens going for really cheap. Well, in photography, I guess if it smells funny, it probably is. The guy is of course away from home on a job far away and won't return for another 3 months. He's willing to ship the lens to me and all ... ahh, the usual scam trick. I'm gonna try to expose this guy somehow now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am heading to the US for a week in 6 weeks. Let's hope B&H or Adorama would have the 50mm in stock by then... Let me know if you want me to get you something as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to get a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR (not VR II) but stores do not carry it anymore. It goes for around $1600 in the used market. I've seen some sold at $1500 and for that price, I really want to but also really hesitate to buy it from anyone even though some do carry a warranty still.

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.