Friday, December 21, 2007

Why you should ...

I lug my camera around almost everywhere I go. It sounds nutty but you really do not know when that opportunity comes around knocking on your door. Today was the last day before the university closes for the holidays break. Guess what, there was a report of a woodpecker in the woods on campus. I happened to have brought my camera in for a potluck we had at the office, so out it went with me to hunt down the woodpecker. The hunt was brisk and quick -- you can hear the little fellow pecking at some tree. I followed the beacon and found the woodpecker on the edge of the woods. Perfect. I was 15m from it however. A few shots told me I had to get closer. Without raising any alarm, I stepped into the ditch, took a few more shots, then climbed the bank of snow onto the forest floor. Then I was a mere 4 metres from it, totally oblivious to my presence. Excellent. A few more snapshots.

I had my walk-around 18-200mm lens. I sure wished I had my 80-400mm lens with me, but lugging that around is hard on your body.

Carry your camera around wherever you go. It was all worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.