Saturday, February 16, 2008

Water fall in the winter

Water falls can be extraordinary in the winter. Today I decided to hike around Smokey Hollow in Waterdown once more. This fall pours water into Lake Ontario in Hamilton.

I was expecting to see some ice formation around the mouth of the fall, and there indeed were some interesting ice formations.

Here are a couple of shots.





I could not take a front shot of the fall unfortunately. I might return to the fall tomorrow or next week, but I would need a rope just in case I cannot climb back up the snow covered hill slope.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to see that front picture of the fall, I guess you will use a tripod to freeze the water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brought my tripod along but did not use it. I thought my hand was steady enough for most of the shots so I did not bother using the tripod.

    To take a front shot of the fall, you have to climb half way down the slope. You would then get a clear front view of the fall.

    I saw some footprints (I guess of another photographer hobbyist) leading down to the half way point but I know from my Fall hiking trip to this place that it was difficult to climb the slope even when it was dry. Imagine the hill covered with snow.

    I want to return to the fall with a rope now but after last night's rain, I do not know if there is anything much left.

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.