Sunday, February 10, 2008

Photo album, server

My photo album runs on Fedora 8, powered by an Intel Celeron 1.70GHz CPU. Over the last couple of weeks, my server froze two times, and I started seeing my CPU temperature hitting dangerous zones. My guess is that Gallery2 is more CPU intensive than the old snappy Yappa-NG.

In any case, I shut down the computer and use a cotton tip to get into the CPU heat sink. Now, I was not able to remove the heat sink to clean it so I left it clamped to the CPU and work the dust with the cotton tip. It was rather difficult because you need to get into the grooves as much as you can in between the fan blades. And, do not just wipe with the cotton tip -- you need to stick it in and give it a twirl. You would not believe how much dust has been collecting on the heat sink. No wonder the CPU was overheating!

Well, from here on, I hope that my photo album will stay on for longer than a week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.