Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Toronto at Night

OK this is my first post to the Photon Farmers blog, I am a beginner and I will probably have more questions than tips for this blog. So here I am trying to learn how to take a good picture at night. So far the picture below is one of my best pictures of Toronto, I am using a canon 30D with a 18-200 mm lens. For this picture I used tripod and I used my favourite custom function, Mirror lockup, along with the self timer to prevent camera shake when the shutter fired. 96.0 mm, ISO 200, 30-second exposure at f8.0.



Then I tried some filters in Photoshop. I read that yellow, magenta and blue filters are very good for night pictures, so here it is, the same picture with a magenta filter.




1 comment:

  1. Applying the colour filter does make a difference. I prefer the second photo. The buildings look crisper as the colours are easier on the eye and the sky looks a little darker. I like the light reflection off the clouds -- if the clouds were more scattered, I think the background would look even more impressive.

    It looks like you cropped the picture. I have an idea for cropping, which I will try on your picture and post it here later.

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.