Monday, November 12, 2007

Image Sharpness on a tripod

Of course we are not talking about daytime photography, but rather the longer exposure nighttime style with a sturdy tripod. We are also not talking about shooting moving targets but rather architecture that stands relatively still.

Camera shake is such a nuisance especially at long focal ranges. I have thrown away so many pictures and then kept some only to study to improve on the quality of pictures I take. In the process, I have learned a few things. Besides increasing the ISO sensitivity level of the Nikon CCD and hence shutter speed, there are a couple of methods one can use to take sharp photos at night.

On the D80, there is a feature called Exposure Delay mode, setting #31 in firmware 1.0.1. By activating this mode, exposure is delayed for 0.40 seconds after the mirror slams up. Thus, by the time the shutter opens, the camera would hopefully have stabilized from the mirror shock. I have used this method along with either a shutter release remote control or a 5-sec shutter delay. When I get a chance, I will post some photos with and without the exposure delay.

The second method, I just learned from a friend over this weekend, is to slow down the shutter speed for a longer period and place a black velvet cloth in front of the lens for a few seconds. In the few seconds that the velvet cloth blocks light from entering the lens, the camera would have stabilized from all the vibration caused by the mirror and even the shutter movement. I think I will try this method.

There is a third method but the D80 does not support it. If the D80 supports Mirror Lock Up I'd use it instead of the Exposure Delay mode as the Exposure Delay is only 0.40 secs. I have written to Nikon about changing the Exposure Delay mode option in the firmware to allow for a longer delay but it is unlikely it will get implemented anytime soon, if it gets implemented at all. I would rather use the Exposure Delay mode if this change gets implemented.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.