Sunday, November 11, 2007

DOF

I like playing with Depth of Field. Not only does it give an image some dimension but it draws attention to a specific subject. The photos below are of architecture and flora. Later when I start shooting some portrait photos, DOF will be more interesting.

The first photo below is a set of chairs and wooden bench laid around the centre court of University College, University of Toronto. In this photo, I like the sharpness of the metal chair in stark contrast with the bokeh and background light. The DOF is clearly demonstrated on the wooden bench. The court was fairly dark as Toronto was covered in clouds at 6:30pm EDT so I set my Tokina 80-400mm lens to 80mm at f/7.1 and opened the shutter for 9 secs. As I was not carrying a tripod, I just rested the Tokina at one end of the bench; I might have padded it with the tilley hat I was wearing. The background colour came from incandescent light in the west wing corridors.




In this second photo, I took a shot of a flower in our front yard (what is it called??). This was in late July at 7pm EDT. My eyes are drawn to the anthers, some filaments of interest, stigma, and some parts of the petals in the plane of focus. Nikkor 18-200mm at f/5.6 at 105mm. Shutter opened for 1/100 sec.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.