Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A sense of purpose

Cesar said shooting the birds, landscape, sunrise and sunset down on lakeshore does get boring. I agree. It goes with anything you do. It could be biking, hiking, skiing, etc. If there is not much variety, the concept gets stale. If I snowboard down the hills of Blue Mountain a quazillion times, the same adrenaline surge I get will wear itself down over time, so you need to challenge yourself and push yourself to achieve a higher level of passion for the sport.

In photography, I think we need to define our goals and interests, whether photography is your job or your hobby. It is a hobby for me, and I have defined a purpose for myself. I have bought a number of lenses for specific reasons and I will try to master the skills to capture the perfect shot in those specific shooting situations to convey a certain expression of a subject, be it for: portrait, candid, macro, wildlife, landscape, architecture. I am trying to define and create my own art, not just a photo, and yes, it sounds like there is a lot of them but that keeps me entertained.

Cesar's goal is to build a portfolio of all the conservation areas he has visited and will visit in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Photography is art and art is a a method of sharing experiences and perceptions with others.

    How can that ever get boring - unless life itself becomes boring?

    Read what Leo Tolstoy had to say: http://www.csulb.edu/~jvancamp/361r14.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The keyword in what you said is 'art'. I think that taking the same shot of the same subject under similar lighting will get boring. Life can be boring if you pursue the same routine day in day out.

    I think you need to look at your subjects from different angles to create a perspective that other people don't normally experience. That is creating art. That is creating fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When is anything ever really duplicated in life? The person behind the camera is the artist and as such needs to make the object or focus of the photo to come alive so that it is worth sharing. So what makes a good artist/photographer? How well they can communicate their perception, experience in the photograph?

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.