Monday, August 29, 2011

Experiment about White Balance (and why I hate Windows, the operating system)

Today I decided to play around the effect of white balance in in-door shots, so with ISO set at 400, f/11 and 1/10 shutter, I fired away the following shots:

WB: Shade 
DSC_00505
WB: Cloudy 
DSC_00514
WB: Incandescent 
DSC_00524 
WB: Cool-White Fluorescent (aka Tungsten) 
DSC_00534 
WB: Flash (the actual flash was not used, FYI)
DSC_00544 
WB: Auto
DSC_00564 

As you can see clearly, “Auto” is the winner (with cloudy as the close second) as they both managed to convey the white colour correctly in the pictures.   This is cool, other than I don’t know what “Auto” did behind the scene…  I guess I might have to leave WB as “Auto” unless I have a good reason to override it.  
And yes, I’m sure you are just as curious on what it would have looked if I take those shots with flash on.  So here they are:

WB: Auto (w/ flash)
DSC_00574 
WB: Incandescent (w/ flash)
DSC_00584
WB: Cool-White Fluorescent (w/ flash) 
DSC_00594
WB: Cloudy (w/ flash), and yes he was getting a little annoyed…DSC_00604
WB: Shade (w/ flash)
DSC_00614
WB: Flash (w/ flash)
DSC_00624
Obviously, “Flash” is looking awesome in this case and it’s clear that “Auto” is same as “Flash” in this case (easy logic by the programmer – if flash_is_on, WB = “Flash”).
At the same time, it is noteworthy that “Cloudy” is (yet again) a close second…  Hmmm…  Maybe there is a reason why some people defaults to Cloudy when they don’t want to trust the camera’s own logic for “Auto”.

Why I hate Windows…
As promised, here’s a little rant about Windows…  With the amount of pictures I took for this experiment, there was no way I could remember their respective settings, so I figure I will just look them up from the EXIF info.  Right click on a file, select “Property” and go to the “Detailed” tab.  And voila, there’s my EXIF info.  Or is there…   For reasons I don’t care to investigate, Windows Explorer does not parse those info correctly and many of the fields are showing (mistakenly) blank.   I had to install Nikon’s ViewNX 2 program to be able to retrieve those wonderful EXIF detail (and man, does Nikon do a great job with them or what – it record every single imaginable detail about the camera’s configuration behind that shot).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.