Saturday, August 27, 2011

Winter camping

Last night, I had a brief chat with a friend over winter camping.  It looks like we are going to head out into the cold of Ontario winters this coming winter.  I started now to think how I am going to shoot our first time experience in the wilderness of Ontario at -20C.  I have taken my D80 out in the dire cold before but only for a couple of hours.  How will my D7000 or D90 fare in -20C temperatures?  I kinda like to do lapse photography, setting up the D7000 on a tripod and have it fire away every minute or so.  I need some way of protecting them from the elements.  I will also like to bring a camcorder, which has never been stress-tested this way before.  I will jot some notes down on this blog from time to time as I build my list of things to do and things to bring.  For one thing, I will surely bring my new GPS unit along so we will know exactly where the photos were taken.

2 comments:

  1. I seriously think you should check manufacturer spec on "acceptable operating environment" before doing that. Metals and optics are designed to withstand a certain amount of temperature and pressure (hint, the glass and the metal do not contract at the same rate, so you are likely going to cause additional stress to the joints).

    Why don't you stick them in the freezer for a while and see how they do. You might want to put them inside double zip-locks bags to avoid condensation....

    I think the D7000 might do a bit better than D90, given its weather-proof housing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know they will not operate under too stressful of an environment, but unless it's water, when the normal environment is re-established, the gears will work fine again. I have had a minor issue with the D80 before when I used it in -20C (it was probably -30C with windchill)--I thought it actually slowed down a bit. The D80 is still performing at top notch. When I gave it away to my younger brother, I had over 40K shots on it. It is still fine today--my brother brought it with him.

    I did also use the Nikkor 18-200mm lens at that temperature. No damage whatsoever that I can see.

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.