Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rubber zoom ring on Nikkor 18-200mm, part 2

In June 2009, after a trip to Cuba, the zoom rubber ring on the Nikkor 18-200mm got really loose.  I had to cut a few millimeters off the ring and glue the ends back together with Krazy Glue.  Two years later, last night, I had to do the same thing again.  I had to cut another few millimeters of the ring as it got fairly loose.  I must have cut about one centimeter in total so far.  A few drops of the Krazy Glue did the trick as usual.  The rubber ring feels tight and snug once again.

I wonder if this is a problem with the rubber rings on other lens manufacturers, or is it just because I use this lens so often in the humid and hot weather of Toronto/Cuba summer.

P.S.  I had mentioned that Nikon sells a replacement rubber ring for probably $10.  I thought I'd check on eBay.  The ring goes for $18 USD or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.