Friday, August 12, 2011

ViewNX 2

Nikon makes superb cameras and lenses but when it comes to software, they need to partner with a strong software developer.  I have not used CaptureNX yet but am using ViewNX 2 to convert my RAW images to JPEG.  Oh boy does it feel slow!  It takes probably 12 hours to process about 500 RAW images with the default settings.  (My Lenovo T60 notebook has an Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz processor with 3GB of RAM and I am processing the images off a network drive--maybe my network is a bit slow.)  It also crashes after converting about 500+ RAW images, complaining it ran "out of memory".  It asks you to close other applications to free up memory even though it is clear that there are plenty of unused memory in the system.  The only way to deal with the "out of memory" problem is to restart ViewNX 2.  What a pain.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's definitely your laptop... Core Duo 1.83 w/ 3GB of RAM is hardly enough for photo/video processing... In anticipation for my new DSLR, I'm migrating the machine with Phenom 810 and 8GB of RAM as my desktop next weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be my wireless network. I'm pushing at probably 25Mbps and the RAW file is 10MB big so just to load the file in would take 3 seconds. I will confirm this tonight when I have more time to play with ViewNX 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I ran a quick test on 4 RAW files. I was mistaken about the size of each file. The D90 generated 10MB RAW files but the D7000 generated 20MB RAW files. Anyway, it took 2m45s to convert four 20MB RAW files to JPEG on my network drive (reading and writing to the same location). It took 2m10s to convert another four 20MB RAW to JPEG on my local drive. The network incurred a 15% overhead on the conversion speed. I guess the rest is pure disk I/O and processing power.

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.