Saturday, August 27, 2011

My first DSLR rig…

Much thanks to Photon, I was able to get Nikon’s latest hobbyist DSLR camera, D5100, at substantial saving from what I would have to pay for it here in Canada (I shall save my rant about the pricing gouging in Canada for a future blog entry).
The camera comes in a kit with a handsome Nikon bag (that is able to hold the body with one lens with room for another lens, battery, memory cards and filters).  Though it is a nice case, I can’t help to want something more stylish, lower-profile (i.e. not advertising to everyone that I am carrying a DSLR), and more out-door friendly.  After much searching, I went out and got myself a Case Logic SLRC-205 case.


imageimage

This is a real nice case, but it’s not available in Canada (somehow Case Logic decided to exclude Canada from the list of regions that it will market this product), but thanks to B&H and its very affordable custom-clearing service, I was able to get this at a very reasonable price.  It has a nice suspended compartment that will hold the body with its medium size lens, with additional pocket for a second lens (or bottle of water, or sandwich), another one for battery and memory cards, and one for something thin and small.  Essentially, I can fit my entire rig into it.  Smile

In addition to the Nikkor 18-55mm lens that came with the kit, I have also acquired a 55-200mm VR ED IF lens.  Yes, the 55-300mm VR ED IF lens was very tempting, but simply can’t justify paying that kind of money at this time.  Sad smile

And of course I got a UV filter, both as a “protective” filter for the lens and for those occasions where I might hike to somewhere UV is an issue.  Clearly I will need a second battery – nothing sucks more than having a nice camera that stops working because it has no power (and no, I didn’t want to buy generic ones off eBay when I can get the real thing for $34).

imageimage 

So far, all the above were acquired from B&H, with the expensive/heavy stuff ship to Photon’s brother to save on taxes and shipping.

While waiting for the gear to show up, I found out Future Shop (a Canadian national retailer of electronic/computer goods, fully owned by Best Buy) was having a sales on the Duracell SDHC Class-10 16GB cards at $25CAD a-piece, so I grabbed two.  

Then I stumble across another local computer store chain that are clearing out its camera accessories and was able to pick up a Hoya Super HMC Circular Polarizer filter for $38 and a Slik monopod 350 for $30 (yes, the prices are comparable to B&H’s regular price, but I didn’t have to pay shipping to Canada and the custom brokerage)

imageimage 

So you have it, my new DSLR rig.   Hopefully I will have something worthwhile to share with you in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. Cool, your first post! The only thing I'd recommend you get now is a good tripod. Don't go for the $30 tripods you might find at Canadian Tire or Walmart. There is no tripod for all occasions but get one that is light enough for hiking and sturdy enough for 2-kg gears in light wind, and one that has a hook at the bottom of the vertical column for more stability.

    Now, we just need to find a good autumn day for a photography trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's go hiking on Canadian Thanksgiving and catch some nice fall colours. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.