Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bare essentials

I just had a thought.

Over the few years I have had my D80, I have collected many camera equipments and gears and sold some. I found some quite useful and some tend to stay home 95% of the time. For those newbies to DSLR world, below are the things I find essential almost everyday and things I can live without for a while. This list might help you decide what to buy for yourself:

The bare essentials:
  • A telephoto (18-200mm) walkaround lens
  • A good UV filter that stays on the lens all the time
  • Vertical hand grip with a built-in battery (good for over 1000 shots)
  • 8 GB memory card (good for about 1000 Hi-Res photos)
  • A hotshoe flash with a diffusion dome
  • A (foam) bounce card
  • A school knapsack (or if you want to be fancy, a camera case/bag)
  • A point-and-shoot camera
  • Leather hand strap
That is pretty much what I carry around with me everyday. Then, there are the stuff I leave at home that I use frequently. These are stuff I would naturally bring with me on a long trip, but if it's a short trip within the city, they stay at home:
  • Micro-fiber cloth for cleaning the lens filter
  • Dust blower
  • Artic Butterfly brush for cleaning the sensor
  • Wet cleaning kit for cleaning the sensor
  • Rechargeable batteries for the flash (I have two sets -- one in the flash, one outside ready to be used at any time)
  • Extra memory cards (I have 17GB in total I think)
  • Memory card reader (I have two)
  • A computer to view photos on
  • A file server or a couple of USB disk drives (I built a RAID-5 NAS to store my photos in)
And then, there are items that rarely get used. They go into my luggage on long trips too:
  • Tripod (I have a great OPUS tripod)
  • A DYI lightsphere
  • Extra lenses (my 18-200mm tend to stay on the camera all the time)
  • Extra camera batteries (my vertical hand grip with the built-in battery tends to stay on my camera all the time now and I never have to switch to another battery as long as I recharge it before a shoot ... but I would carry the extra battery if I shoot an important event)
  • Circular Polarizing Filter
That is about it. Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.