Sunday, March 30, 2008

Framing Toronto

What is wrong with this picture? I could not quite put my finger on it, but it is not well balanced and it looks very boring to me. Anyways, I took many shots of Toronto last night but I remember as I was taking them, I could not find frame it properly. I was not sure what kind of impression I wanted to create. How would you frame the photo on the left?

On the right is another taken just as the sun was setting. I think here, the sun adds a bit more to the story, although again, I was not impressed with the framing itself. Maybe it's the angle. Maybe I should take the ferry to Centre Island and shoot Toronto from there.

2 comments:

  1. dear Farmer,

    The first photo's color was very exciting, however the theme / subject is skewed. The viewer is confused about the mood youre trying to set.

    The second one is too directly in the center. The color isn't as exciting as the first one. Bascially - What am I suppose to see here?

    Random

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, anonymous. The skewness plagues me often -- very conscious about that. :) The Nikon D80 can display an alignment grid in the viewfinder. Maybe I can use this grid to keep my subjects in check.

    I will leave my photos in the camera for a while before reviewing them again. I need to create a mental picture of the mood and the story I want to tell first before going back to reshoot.

    -- foton

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.