Sunday, March 30, 2008

SD internals, part 2

The cracked SDHC card has been fixed. I happened to have some super glue around so the SDHC has been put back together. The cracks are glued tight shut.

Now, I did lose the write-protect sliding tab. After opening the card, it is clear that the tab has no electrical properties, i.e. it has no electrical contacts nor does it toggle an electrical or electronic switch inside the card. The write-protect mechanism seems to work like the 3.5" floppy disk write-protection mode. With the floppy, you slide the tab over the hole and the floppy disk drive knows not to write to the floppy disk.

My first band-aid was to tape over the empty slot. That worked but not very well as the tape increased the width and thickness of the card and changed the cross sectional shape of the card a bit. It was a little hard removing the card from the camera.

I removed the tape and substituted it with a piece of paper. However, you do not want to just stick a piece of a paper in the empty slot, as the paper can easily get dislodged from the card and be left behind as you pull the card out of the camera or a card reader. Since I had super glue, I filled the hole with the glue and moistened the paper in it then leave everything to dry.

I now have a really permanent write-protect tab. :)

The 4GB SDHC is back in operation.

1 comment:

  1. Hey you are probably the first person to try to fix an SD card (:

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.