Monday, January 9, 2012

Sound trigger for high speed flash photography, part 3

The beauty of a potentiometer!  Well, with the circuited powered up, I adjusted R5 from 1 MOhm down to 0 Ohm to see how sensitive the circuit is to sound.  I initially thought that a higher resistance in R5 would give higher amplification.  It looks like it's the reverse--the smaller the resistance, the more sensitive the circuit is. At about 250 KOhm, it seems to work quite well.  I was in fact able to detect the plop of a water drop a few times.  I think I will wait until Friday night when I have more time to play with it and when I stay up until the cars sleep.


Again, C2 was removed from the circuit.

Having played with the circuit over the last few days, I am starting to wonder now though, whether a sound sensor is the best method to use for detecting water drops.  The sound a water drop makes is so faint that it might as well as part of ambient noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.