Friday, January 27, 2012

Lightning trigger circuit

Toronto does not get much lightning and when we do, I rarely see them.  A few years ago, I did capture two lightning bolts through the window of my second story bedroom.  It was great.  I simply left the shutter open for 10 seconds at a time and I was lucky enough to catch two strikes.

Now that I have built the laser trigger circuit, I think my next attempt to capture lightning will depend less on luck and more on technology.  I can modify the circuit by switching the PhotoResistor and the 62 KOhm resistor around, and remove the DelayCapacitor for an instant trigger.  The circuit would be connected to the PC Sync port of a camera instead of the flash gun.  I tested the new circuit under normal room lighting by running an LED flash light quickly across the photoresistor.  The flash light was strong enough to trigger the circuit.

We are in the middle of a warm and wet winter.  Maybe there is a tiny small chance of a lightning storm?

Laser trigger circuit.  Switching the 62 KOhm resistor and the PhotoResistor around, and removing the DelayCapacitor should turn this circuit into a lightning detector, I hope.


3 comments:

  1. I found commercial product on http://www.pmgadgets.net

    Has anybody used PatchMaster?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to use MIOPS as lightning trigger. Do you have any advice on this? It has positive comments as a lightning trigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melisa. Sorry, I didn't see your comment/question until now. My email address changed and I never received notifications of new comments. Anyways, I hope the MIOPS worked for you. I read about it and seeing the photos posted at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1074687-REG/miops_miops_camera_trigger.html, I can see it does everything that my home-grown project did and more! You'd need the right cable to connect it to your camera.

      Delete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.