Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Couple of high speed flash tests


My first few tests turned out not too bad.  The breadboard was taped on a computer tower.  I had a laser pointer on a mini-tripod on a box about 50cm from the computer tower at the same height.  The laser beam is about 50cm from the floor.  Under the path of the laser beam, I laid a cup I made from the bottom of a water bottle.  I placed the Nikon SB-25 flash gun just to the left and in front of the cup.

I then set the camera to the smallest aperture possible to keep the shutter open for 10 seconds in the semi darkness of my room.  I set the focus to manual.  I could not really focus properly here as the camera sat on the floor.  I think I will move everything on a table so it will be easier to work with.

Anyways, I took a number of shots of a water droplet falling from about 70cm high, cutting through the laser beam.

I started with a wide angle shot, to see where the water droplet would be.  I am still not sure where it was when the flash went off.  What is seen in the photo could have been from an earlier droplet.

I then zoomed into the cup.  The focus was not spot on but I think I can fix this problem if I place everything on a table.

BTW, I tried to use a camcorder to figure out where the droplet would be when the flash goes off.  Of the many water drops, I could see only one in the movie frames.  I guess the camcorder is not fast enough.

P.S.  Except for the photo-resistors from Slovenia, my eBay orders have not arrived yet!!  I wish the flash PC Sync cord has arrived already as my home-made alternative can easily come loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.