Sunday, December 11, 2011

Back to point-and-shoot?

This afternoon, I drove out to the east side of downtown Toronto to pick up a "Canon IXUS 980 IS" compact point-and-shoot.  I paid $100 for it.  I have no idea how much this camera really costs nowadays but it falls within my $0-100 range I am willing to pay for a decent compact point-and-shoot.  Noone carries it anymore but three years ago, for a 205g camera, it used to weigh more like a ton on your wallet.


This camera has a maximum ISO sensitivity setting of 1600 with a decent maximum shutter speed of 1/1600 seconds.  The lens can zoom in up to 3.7x optically (36-133mm in 35mm format) with maximum f-stops of f/2.8-5.8.  The 14.7MP CCD sensor is fairly big for a compact camera at 1/1.7" so there should be less noise than other compacts at the same image resolution.

The IXUS is a UK model.  In North America, the equivalent model Canon uses is the "ELPH".  In North America, this is the ELPH SD990IS model (yes, "990" and not "980").  The IXUS came with a battery charger and a USB cable.  The USB cable is a normal USB cable.  The battery charger has the round UK power plug, so I had to purchase a $2 adapter to plug into our North American power outlet.


No, I am not back to point-and-shoot but for my winter camping trip, I am thinking of using something light that I can keep close to my body (to keep it warm).  I would just use my Canon SD110 but the battery can no longer maintain much of a charge.  I will also likely bring my Canon VIXIA HG20 camcorder.

http://www.clubtread.com/articledetail.aspx?id=49


Addendum

There is something wrong with Amazon or with some store.  Even today, Amazon still posts a price of $650 and in one case nearly $900 for the SD900IS from some stores.  How is that possible?  Back in late 2008, when this camera came out, its MSRP was $399.  What is with the bloated prices at some of these stores?  We know this product has been discontinued.  Well, I checked out the couple of stores that show up in Amazon that carries this camera and sure enough, they are run by "crooks" out of New York and their listings probably never got updated.  When buying cameras online, be sure to check out ResellerRatings.com (see link on right hand side).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.