Sunday, December 11, 2011

CHDK

Unleashing the power of the PowerShot ... I ran across this Canon Hack Development Kit (CHDK) that adds more functionality to a number of Canon PowerShot cameras.  I had checked the CHDK for my SD110 but it was not supported but they have support for SD990IS!

It takes just minutes to get the software (not firmware) loaded onto the camera--I chose to activate it manually instead of using the autostart approach.  I looked at the CHDK software because I wanted to do time lapse photography.  For many Nikon DLSR's, one can find these remote shutter control on eBay to do time lapse photography--I just found out my D7000 does this built-in--but heck, this simple software for the Canon point-and-shoot that resides on SHDC card can do the same, easily.

CHDK can do a lot more than just time lapse photography.  The platform allows uBASIC scripts to run so some programming can unleash the power of the PowerShot in virtually any way possible (within the hardware limitations of the camera of course.)

Check out CHDK at http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.