Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What I learned from Costa Rica, part 3

One of my worries in Costa Rica was the humidity. I read that people bought ziploc bags to seal off their camera in their cool and dry A/C room before heading out in the warmer and more humid elements of Costa Rica.

Well, if you travel in November, there is little you have to worry about. In San Jose, we slept comfortably without A/C -- our room did not have A/C actually -- so there is no change in temperature and humidity to worry about. In Santa Elena / Monteverde, we had a fan in the room and again, there was little to worry about there. The air in the Monteverde region is moister than in San Jose but it was not an issue at all for my camera and lens when I stepped out of the room. I did get into trouble in the Cloud Forest though when I realized there were some water droplets on my filter. I blew on the filter to push the water droplet out but all it did was fogging up the filter. In the relatively heavy humidity, once the filter fogs up, it will not defog on its own. I had to pull out a paper napkin to wipe it dry. Hopefully, I did not scratch the coatings of the filter. Anyways, in Montezuma, we had A/C in the room but in the morning when I took my camera out, the outside air was warmer but was relatively dry, so again no problem there. The only time I ran into any fogging problem was in La Fortuna. We had A/C in our room and even at 6am, the outside air was warm and humid enough the filter fogged up a bit. I returned to the room for a few second to defog the filter and went back out. In and out a couple of times, and it seemed all fine.

My D80 is not weather-sealed but in November, Costa Rica was friendly to it. I changed lenses a few times -- on the road to Santa Elena, in the hotel room in Santa Elena, and on the ferry from Puntarenas to Paquera. No problem there. I did buy four ziploc bags. The only time I used one was when I waded and swam the waters of the lower Montezuma waterfall.

Fogging gives a nice effect by the way. Below is a photo taken with a fogged up filter around 6am in La Fortuna. I used flash and a big f value to darken the background. I post-processed it to increase contrast.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.