Sunday, January 20, 2008

Where are your photos? Part 2.

Well, FreeNAS has been a pain in the you know what. It has been so unstable. Constant writes to the disks tend to trigger something that causes the system to reboot. I have not quite figured out what the root cause is yet but am not about to spend any more time on this software. The problems I see with this unstability are the following.
  • First, the unstability itself is the problem.
  • Second, every time the machine reboots this way, one of the drives in the RAID5 configuration goes out of sync and needs to be re-synchronized with the other drives. On a 1TB storage, this takes 8 hours or so.
  • Third, because of the abnormal reboot, fsck kicks in on reboot. This version of FreeNAS, based on FreeBSD 6.1, does not support the ext3 filesystem or any journal file system. I used UFS (version 1 and 2). You can imagine what happens when fsck kicks in. It's a lengthy scan through 1TB.
The lack of a journal really irks me so I am moving away from FreeNAS as fast as I built that initial interest in it. Maybe I will look at it again when they move over to FreeBSD 7.0.

It is too bad because I like the user interface (although more options can be added to it.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Foton
    A beautiful place here!
    Excellent post!
    Thank you.
    have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, David. I hope people will enjoy reading the experience we cultivate through exploration and curiosity of the art of photography.

    Cheers,

    foton

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.