Sunday, July 31, 2011

Solmeta GPS N1 for D7000

I decided I was not going to buy the PC-Mobile version after wall.  I decided instead to purchase a Solmeta GPS N1 unit for my D7000.  (It costed me $111 USD with free shipping, so I guess the unit is about $100 USD or so.)  The main reason for the Solmeta is the built-in battery.  While the other brands claim very low power draw, the built-in rechargeable battery of the Solmeta unit will power the GPS unit for up to 10 hours before it has to draw power from the camera.

When you order the unit from this eBay seller I bought it from, you need to specify the camera you are purchasing the GPS unit for.  They will then provide the right cable for that specific camera.  Hopefully, they will not send me a cable for another camera by mistake.

As you can see from the picture, there is a cable that fits the D7000--the CA7000.  This L-shape cable will not work well with the D90 but I figure I will be shooting with the D7000 most of the time.  If I do need to use the GPS unit for the D90, I would have to dangle the GPS unit off the strap eye socket on the camera.

This eBay seller offers a "free" gift--car charger or "wall plug" so the GPS unit can be recharged outside the camera.  I think it should not be a free gift.  It should be bundled with the package!  How else are you supposed to recharge the battery?  I chose the "wall plug" as I already have a car charger-to-AC adapter (I think).

Now, it's a 3-4 week wait.  It takes that long for shipment from China to arrive here in Canada.  Incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.