Sunday, July 17, 2011

Is that enough?

The other day, a friend of mine e-mailed me a deal from FutureShop.  FutureShop was selling these new Duracell 16GB SDHC Class 10 cards for $25.  My first thought was, wow, $25 only?  When did Duracell enter the computer storage market?  It certainly is not searchable on Duracell's website, as of this writing.  Anyway, I thought there was no need to purchase more memory cards as I already have a couple of 16GB, one 8GB, one 4GB, and one 2GB.  When I thought I had enough memory, a single trip to Ecuador in December would prove me wrong--stupid me, I brought only two 16GB.

The problem with memory requirements is not so much because of the photos we take.  I could not possibly have taken that many photos to fill up 32GB of storage.  That would require more than 4000 JPEG photos taken at the highest quality on my D7000.  If I had taken photos in RAW NEF format, maybe I'd need 2000 photos to fill up 32GB.  The problem was, I was doing video as well.  High definition video can eat up memory fairly quickly.

My friend was going to pick up one SHDC for himself.  He ended up purchasing four cards, two for him, two for me.  I will now carry around with me four 16GB--64GB of storage.  Is that enough?

2 comments:

  1. The Duracell SDHC is actually made by Dane-Elec, but with a much simpler packaging and a lower price. Some people, in various digital photography forums, benchmarked it and claim it's performing a tab below a Dane-Elect Class 10 SDHC card. But I think it's fast enough for 4pps (of the D5100) and the HD video recording. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is definitely fast enough for non-pro bodies. My other 16GB is 100x (vs. 200x of the Duracell brand) and I have yet to run into a wall with the D7000.

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.