Sunday, March 6, 2011

FlickrDown

I have been searching for an application to download sets of photos from Flickr.  The reason I need one of these applications is because sometimes friends want photos of a party or event I shot.  Downloading from my home server would take forever--my slow upload speed and the sheer size of the photos are just too painful.  I have uploaded many of my photos to a private collection and sets to share between families and friends only and I wish to allow them to download them as they will.

My search landed on this one application called FlickrDown.  It's a cool application that I believe does what I want--downloading a whole set of photos without having to select one photo at a time.  Unfortunately, since 2010, this application has been banned from Flickr! for no valid reason.  The articles I have read speak of copyrighted materials...well, any browser or similar software can download any photos that are copyrighted, and in fact, I want my friends to download my copyrighted photos.  So, what's with Flickr! banning this seemingly great application?

I unfortunately never had the opportunity to try out this application but from the screenshot I saw, it looks pretty simple and good to use.  Flickr! is an 800-pound gorilla and I hope they don't become arseholes like PayPal--yeah, I had issues with PayPal in the past as a vendor.  I have a Pro account with Flickr! and I wish they could open their eyes a little bigger.

If you are interested in FlickrDown, visit their website at:  http://blog.greggman.com/blog/flickrdown/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.