Sunday, December 27, 2009

NAS restored

Almost two months ago, my NAS that I built with 4 x 300 GB SATA drives died. After trying out three power supply units from old hardware I have, I thought the NAS motherboard got fried. Last week, I decided to visit craigslist.ca and found a PIII machine someone wanted to dispose of for $10. The bonus there was that this PIII runs at 1GHz while mine runs at 450MHz. A rather adventurous drive into Etobicoke and one and a half hour later, I came back home and fixed the NAS. I was lucky enough it was just the power supply unit. Apparently, all the power supply units I had tested with were broken too. Great.

The NAS is up and running. Backups are running as usual and I have access to all my pictures again.

I did not move everything over to the PIII I bought for two reasons: there are fewer RAM slots in this PIII than in mine and while a 1GHz boost would be nice, 450MHz is sufficient, and don't want to fix it if it ain't broke.

2 comments:

  1. LOL ... 3 dead power supplies. What are the odds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a big relief when the NAS started up. :)

    The three power supplies came from old hardware ... one from an old PIII, another from a P4 I bought from Perfect Electronics, and another from a P4 Dell workstation I bought a while ago. I stopped using those workstations for a while ... for some reason, their power supplies are no longer working. Maybe they all got fried from some electrical storm at the same time and I never cared to fix them ... :)

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.