Thursday, December 24, 2009

Tamron 17-50mm Di II VC, part II


Well, the Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD lens is in my hands. I have done some testing against my venerable Nikkor 18-200mm VR II. I had wondered if I might end up selling the Tamron after purchasing it just hours earlier... except that this f/2.8 lens has VC!

For less than half the price of a Nikkor 17-50mm, this Tamron lens gives a good punch, a definite keeper I think. Hand-held, the Tamron produces better results than my Nikkor 18-200mm. The Tamron is definitely faster and with its VC (Vibration Compensation) produces sharper images, something I have been looking for for a long time now without the need to spend $1000+. This is fairly consistent, especially indoors on a cloudy day like today. The faster lens with VC has its definite advantage. In terms of the handling, the feel is similar to the Nikkor -- plastic and light. I have no problem with that. Also, the Tamron shares the same 72mm ring size as the Nikkor so I can move my expensive UV filter between the Nikkor and the Tamron lenses.

There is only one odd behaviour I did not expect in a lens though. When VC is used with auto-focus, the lens jerks a little before stabilizing on a subject. I guess this is how VC works which is very different from how Canon's IS or Nikon's VR mechanism works. I also find the Tamron VC mechanism to be a little noisy. In a quiet room, the spinning noise is quite noticeable but outdoors, it would be inaudible.

After some hand-held testing, I decided to put my D80 on a tripod and do some quick comparison shots between the Nikkor 18-200mm and this Tamron 17-50mm. The images below are center-cropped at 100%. Note that I am NOT comparing apples to apples. The f-stops were different, I did not use the delay shutter release, and I did not have total control of the lighting -- flash light was not used and a TV was turned on (in the background). Also, in all the tests, Vibration Compensation / Reduction was used, even though the camera was on a tripod.


Nikkor at 18mm, f/3.5, 1/2.5 secs:
The colours are somewhat dull.















Tamron at 17mm, f/2.8, 1/5 secs:
Note how the colours in the checkered pattern of yellow and white are richer than in the Nikkor image.

Also, note here that the field of view of the Tamron at 17mm is the same field of view as the Nikkor at 18mm.


Tamron at 17mm, f/4, 1/2.5 secs:
















Nikkor at 50mm, f/4.8, 1/1.6 secs.


















Tamron at 50mm, f/2.8, 1/4 secs:
At the sharpest point, the image is sharper than the Nikkor image.










Tamron at 50mm, f/4, 1/2.5 secs:
Here, I was expecting a very sharp image but it looks fuzzier than the other two. Perhaps I shook the camera when depressing the shutter release or the subject was not in focus at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.