Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Nikon D7000's ISO levels

With the Nikon D7000, I rarely shoot at higher than ISO 800, but there are the odd times when you just need to push the limits of the camera.  I was in Ottawa this past weekend and ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 was the norm at night.  There was only one place I visited at night--Parliament Hill.  If I could, I would have visited Occupy Ottawa, I was told just east of Parliament Hill.

I did bring my tripod but the night I used it, it was so cold so I did not spend much time on the Hill.  The second night was warmer and was cloudy--great for photography by the way--but I forgot the bring the tripod along so it was all hand-held.  I also had my not-so-fast 18-200mm walkaround lens on.  With a not so great setup, I had to resort to pulling as much juice from the D7000 as possible.

So, hand held, these were some of the pictures I took with the D7000:

50mm, ISO 3200, f/4.8, 1/15 seconds:


18mm, ISO 1600, f/4.0, 1/6 seconds:


18mm, ISO 1600, f/4.5, 1/5 seconds:


18mm, ISO 1600, f/4.5, 1/4 seconds:

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping for the winter lights. I think those lights go on on December 1, so I was a few days too early. Looking back at the pictures though, I am not so sure if I want the winter lights on. Although nothing really natural about it, the current night lights make the buildings more natural looking than the winter lights would.

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.