Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dust bunnies

Oh my goodness!  The bunnies are back with a vengeance!  I don't remember when I last operated my camera with multiple lenses outdoors--it might have been during the hike up around the Forks of the Credit--but my sensor is full of dust bunnies.  I had no need to take my camera out but since I will be heading to Ottawa next weekend, I thought I'd bring my D7000 along and thought I'd check the sensor now.  I got the Tamron 17-50mm lens on, set the aperture to f/32, and shot away at my bright notebook screen.  Two test shots confirmed it--btw, the blur was intentional.  No fewer than 40 bunnies have made my sensor their home.  They are concentrated in the right side of the photo for some reason.  Well, it's time to clear the field of the invaders.



So, it took me six attempts to clean the sensor to remove most of the bunnies.  I started with a blower.  I knew it was not going to do much if anything.  I then proceeded with the Artic Butterfly.  Sure enough, it looks like these bunnies have burrowed themselves deep into the sensor.  I then tried the wet cleaning method.  My first attempt with a used swab left some bunnies behind.  My second attempt with the used swab made it worse.  I threw away the swab and got another one, new this time.  I applied the swab across the sensor and it looked like it was perfectly clean--except that when I did my test shot there were these funny artifacts and I thought there were residues of the cleaning solution on the sensor.  So I did two more wet cleaning only to realize the funny artifacts are flares from the lens.  The sensor is not 100% clean but good enough for normal shooting.

Having the tools at home is a heck lot faster and more convenient than sending the camera in to Nikon for cleaning.  Did I tell you their service centre in Mississauga does not open late on weeknights and is closed on weekends.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lot of work. How much do they charge for cleaning? I swap out lens all the time, but has yet to notice any dirty/dust particles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a lot of work but it's pretty routine for me now. :) I've done quite a few cleaning with my D80 and D300, and now my D7000.

    You should test for dusts every now and then. Dust spots can easily be seen when you shoot at small apertures, e.g. for a landscape shot. They won't appear in photos are larger apertures. You might start noticing dust spots around f/13.

    Anyways, I believe Nikon will clean it for $80. You can take your camera to Vistek and they'll do it for $30-40.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just checked - no dust bunnies. I guess you need to practice better lens changing techniques. :-)

    It's either that, or the anti-dust feature in the D5100 is far superior than that of the D7000 (I highly doubt that, but one never know).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta be more mindful of where I change my lenses. One of the best places in the house for changing lenses is the washroom, but I change my lenses in my bedroom where I know there is a lot of dust. I've changed lenses in humid environments where once dust settles on the sensor, it forms a bond with the sensor that is hard to break. I've also changed lenses on the beach on a windy day. I should carry of clear plastic bag around to change the lenses in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a habit of changing my lens with the opening down - basically, I left the lens drop into my sling bag and while the opening is still downward facing, connect the new lens to the body. This was the way Nikon recommend for lens changing and has been good for me so far. I change lens fairly regular when I go shooting, since I don't have the luxury of a 18-200mm lens... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.