Sunday, November 13, 2011

Epson Stylus Photo 1280 woes, part 3

The saga is about to end.  I got the printer to print yellow, finally!

Searching on Google for unclogging Epson print nozzles will point to a number of solutions, including that damp paper towel method.  Today, I used the Windex and distilled water approach.  The approach calls for a solution of ammonia and water, so while I had my car serviced at Canadian Tire today, I went over to the PC Superstore (at Mavis and Dundas) and bought Windex ("Original" with Ammonia-D), a 4L bottle of distilled water, and a PeeDee Doe OralMed dispenser syringe for babies.  With everything I needed, it was hard to contain my excitement--will it work??!!!!  Like boys with toys, I prepared the simple solution, got the printer ready for a deep cleaning.

Applying some pressure on the syringe to force the solution through the yellow needle, I ran it through five times followed by rinsing with just distilled water (to remove any Windex in the needle and cavity.)  I turned on the printer, connected my notebook to it, and ran a print test.  Nothing, no yellow printed.  Back to deep cleaning a couple more times.  Another print test.  Nothing.  Yellow was not coming out!  Did the yellow piezoelectric element burn out or something got shorted because I injected the Windex solution into the ink cavity?  Maybe the nozzle was still clogged up?  But, I could see the Windex solution coming through the yellow nozzle as the paper towel I placed under the print head got wet.  Something was not right though.  I used the syringe to blow out any air bubble or ink that might be left inside the yellow needle and cavity.  I also used the syringe to draw any air bubble or ink out of the needle.  Surprisingly, no yellow ink came out.  There was no yellow ink on the paper towel.  Yellow ink did not get drawn from the cartridge!

I replaced the colour cartridge with a brand new one.  One print test and bingo, the world turned once again.  I did the yellow square print test.  The square came out very yellow.  That was good.  There are still a few clogged yellow nozzles though.  From the pattern test, I could see a couple of missing lines.  Not 100% but much better than before!

P.S.  For those interested in the design of the Epson print head, there are a couple of diagrams here:  http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/178

P.P.S.  Windex Original is blue with Ammonia-D.  I am not sure if Ammonia-D is ammonia but it seems to work for some people.

1 comment:

  1. I very much agree with what you wrote in this article, this is information that I had been looking for, thank you because you are willing to share with us.


    Printhead911

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.