Saturday, February 25, 2023

Spec of Dust in the Viewfinder - a Nightmare

The other day, I noticed there was a spec of dust in my viewfinder of my Nikon D7000.  I thought it might have been sitting on the mirror so I brushed the mirror clean, but it persisted.  I thought it might have been on the bottom side of the focusing mirror so I cleaned it, but it still persisted.  I wasn't sure what to do as I thought it must be inside the pentaprism box and it's always scary when you disassemble anything inside the body of the D7000!  I've cleaned the sensor before so I feel confident working a DSLR but have no idea what to do with the pentaprism.

I ran across this YouTube video that was very helpful:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEejMwrRoSM.  The video was for the Nikon D40 but it gave me enough confidence to try the same on my D7000!  It was simpler than I thought but it was at the same time tricky.

Removing the bracket that holds the focusing screen up was simple.  You'd just use a tweezer of my Leatherman Wave tool to nudge the bracket slightly toward the front of the camera and the bracket would flip out.  Putting the bracket back in was more difficult.  I had to use the plastic end of my tweezer and the plastic end of a toothpick from my Wave to push the bracket back into place.  I eventually found later instructions for doing this:  https://www.focusingscreen.com/work/d7000en.htm.

Anyways, after I managed to remove the bracket, the focusing screen would easily drop out.  I handled the screen with a lint-free micro-fiber cloth and never with my fingers!  You use your fingers and I can guarantee you will leave your fingerprints on it!  Tips:  In the video above, they have a tweezer with rubber ends.  That's the best way to handle the screen.

Once you take out the focusing screen, you can use an air blower to blow away any dust that might sit on the screen.  Do this in a dust-free room or you'll likely introduce more dust between the pentaprism and the focusing screen, like I did, and it will become a nightmare trying to remove more dusts out!  I had to remove the focus screen 4-5 times until I gave up with cleaning it!  Now I have more dust specs in the viewfinder.  Gggrrr..

The moral of the story is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!  It was a tiny spec of dust--nothing to fret about and now I've got more dust in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.