Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sensor cleaning

So, after a trip down to Ecuador, my D7000 needed some cleaning. I did not realize how much dust came into contact with the low pass filter. It was dirty! I tried my trusty Artic Buttefly to wipe the dust away but to no avail. It only smeared the dust spots even more. I gave up on the Butterfly and decided it needed a wet cleaning. I was going to take it to a store or to Nikon to have it cleaned. I read somewhere that Nikon would clean it for about $80. Know however that Nikon would give one complimentary cleaning within the first 31 days of your purchase of the camera, but unfortunately, I've had my camera for about two months already. I could have taken my camera to Vistek and they will clean it for $30-40 I believe.

Either that or you can do it yourself. I have the swabs for wet cleaning but had no more of the cleaning solution so I went to Aden Camera the other day and got myself a $25 tiny little bottle from Visible Dust. It's expensive but then again, you need only a couple of drops per job. So, I figured it costed me maybe about $2 for this cleaning job I just performed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.