Sunday, December 28, 2008

How wide are they anyways?

Seeing that the compact camera Canon SD110 was able to shoot at f/2.8 at 5mm, I started to wonder how wide 5mm on a compact really translates to. I cannot imagine how wide the field of view would be through a 5mm SLR lens. So, here is a quick test.

From one place, I shot my window frame. It is clear that the SLR lens at 18mm captures a wider field of view. At the shortest focal length, the 5mm of the tiny lens of the Canon is equivalent to about 24mm or 28mm on an SLR lens.

Canon SD110 at 5mm:


Nikkor 18-200mm at 18mm:



BTW, I did not know how to expose the shot for the outside with the Canon SD110 so I underexposed the shot manually by 2 f-stops to get the blue of the sky. Also, at an equivalent 24mm, the Canon SD110 can shoot at f/2.8 (see the previous post). That is faster than the Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 !! :)

As a side note, if you wanted to shoot the window frame with the blue of the sky, underexpose the shot as I have done and turn on flash. In effect, you are exposing for the sky and use the flash to fill in the foreground. This is from the Canon test shots:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.