Thursday, December 25, 2008

Formatting your SDHC card

Well well well ... this is interesting. As part of the firmware upgrade, I reformatted the HP 8GB SDHC card using Windows XP before putting the firmware images on. After the second image has been loaded into the camera, I left the SDHC card as it was, formatted with Windows XP.

I was doing some test shooting today when I noticed some difference. It would take a new picture a few seconds to be saved to the card. It also takes a few seconds to delete a picture. Did I notice this behaviour before with this HP SDHC? No, I do not remember seeing this behaviour ever before. Maybe the firmware did something funny to the file I/O subsystem of the camera. I then decided to reformat the SDHC using the built-in camera formatting feature. As it turned out, it was not the SDHC. It has something to do with the way the card was formatted. After the card has been reformatted with the camera's formatting software, saving and delete pictures from the card was quick. Either way, the filesystem format is FAT32. I don't have one of the cool Norton Utilities to inspect the SDHC card but there is some difference between the way the D80 formats a card and the way Windows XP does it. In Windows XP, I performed a "Quick Format" but that is probably what the D80 does anyways as it takes no time to format the SDHC card.

Strange.

Merry Xmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.