Thursday, September 11, 2008

Nikon D90

A little while ago I posted a link to a joke about a non-existent D90 (http://photonfarmers.blogspot.com/search?q=d90). Well, the joke is no longer. It would appear that Nikon will unveil a new D90 at the end of this month. I started reading up on the new toy and it seems to be making a quantum shift in the DSLR paradigm.

The D90 is a still image camera first and foremost but is also the first DSLR with video shooting capability that I know. Say what? Well, it can shoot video too. If you think that Nikon is bridging the DSLR with the Point-and-Shoot worls, you may be right. It would also seem that they are already moving in that direction with the Live View screens in the D300, D3, and D700. I for one did not like that idea so much. I like to keep the workings of a DSLR in the ways of the 35mm film SLR. It separates a DSLR from a Point-and-Shoot. On the other hand, a DSLR is already so different from the 35mm SLR, so why not go even further? I guess there is no really good reason not to go further.

Now, there is one feature I am quite excited about. I am happy that Nikon is sporting their new DSLRs with a CMOS sensor. It is supposed to produce the same picture quality as the D300 up to ISO 6400. I am hoping it can produce the same picture quality as the D3 and D700 but unfortunately there is no way possible to compare with the FX sensors of the latter DSLRs.

So, the D90 will be born. Henry's Photographics and Imaging Show is coming up. I will surely be testing it out. Will I upgrade my D80? Yes, mainly for better image quality at high ISO, but to a D90 (about $1000) or a D700 (about $2700) ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.