Sunday, September 14, 2008

How strong is the SB-800 ?


I suppose specs is specs. Specs are just numbers. I wondered what those numbers really mean. I wondered how much current the Speedlight SB-800 produces. I mean, it is strong enough to render a totally black room into a light-filled space at twelve noon. I read somewhere you should not leave the four AA batteries in the SB-800 speedlight while not in use. I wondered why. Batteries could leak, it said. Really? Well, I did not believe it and am not so sure I believe it. However, there is strong evidence that the speedlight can give you a good jolt.

In the upper left corner is a picture of a couple of AA batteries from my speedlight. There are definite burn marks. In fact, all my AA batteries used in this speedlight have burn marks on the negative plate. I guess it is like welding. A electrical current jumps across two electrodes and if strong enough will weld metal together. If not strong enough, it will just burn the contact points.

Now, the burn marks are not just soot. After wiping the burn marks as clean as I can, I can see definite puncture mark into the negative metal plate of the batteries. I think I know what people are saying about leaking then. If used long enough, the puncture mark may eventually drill through the plate and burn into the cell compartment.

Well, I will not remove the batteries but will check them after every session.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.