Friday, September 26, 2008

Defect / Dead Pixels on the sensor

Well, the dead pixels are back. On the Nikon website, they call these pixels 'defect pixels'. They have a description of the pixel. These pixels may not be seen in every photo you take if the shutter speed is lower than 1/2 seconds because of the Noise Reduction (NR) feature. However, in daylight and at faster, normal speed, these pixels will show up as white dots. These are a pixel-big dot, not a blurry blotch like a dust spot -- just one pixel. The exact reason is not clear but Nikon says environment factors could cause dead pixels to appear. I guess that means that exposure to perhaps humidity and heat can damage parts of the sensor. The one solution they have is to re-calibrate the camera. I can only guess what that means -- fixing the problem by intrapolating the value of the dead pixel by using the neighbouring pixels. Well, I have four dead pixels. Four pixels out of 10+ millions. You can barely notice them but since I know where they are, my eyes are drawn to them now. I need to check my warranty card and take the D80 in for repair. I wish there was a way to re-calibrate the camera myself

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.