Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tripod for travels

As I'm planning my trip to Nova Scotia, I remembered how I was traveling in Costa Rica with my tripod.  I used my OPUS OT-1104BH tripod perhaps only once back then and it was somewhat big and heavy to lug around.  Because of its size, I had to keep it in my larger backpack (inside its cardboard box for easy retrieval and stow-away.)  The benefit of having a tripod that heavy was diminished by the fact that I did not carry it around on my outings.  I did not mind so much that it was heavy (sturdy).  It was not hiking long distance.  It was that it was too big.

A couple of days ago, I purchased a Manfrotto MKC3-P01 tripod off someone on Craigslist.  The tripod is rated for 1.5kg load capacity, just barely enough for my D7000 and my heaviest lens.

The MKC3-P01 has a ball head.  Once tightened with the knob, it feels quite solid, enough for 1.5kg at least.  One thing I do not like about the ball head however is the quick release plate that is sold with it.  There is no safety locking pin that I see on the OT-1104BH.  I think it is possible to release the plate by accident and see my camera dropping to the ground.  I will have to be careful with the release lever!

Anyways, the specs are as follows (taken from Manfrotto's website):

SPECIFICATIONS


centre column
rapid
closed length
40.0 cm
Color
black color

column cross section
three-faceted

column tube diameter
22mm

front tilt
0° / +90° head tilt

leg angles
21°

leg cross section
oval
leg sections
5 number

material
aluminum legs and technopolymer
maximum height
165.0 cm
maximum height (with centre column down)
136.0 cm
minimum height
45.5 cm

panoramic rotation
360 degrees

plate type
quick release - with 1/4" screw

quick release
yes
load capacity
1.5 kg
weight
1 kg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.