Sunday, May 29, 2011

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30


Well, I just purchased a used Panasonic DMC-FZ30 "bridge" camera. Why would I do that, you might ask, given that I already have a Nikon D7000 and a bunch of lens and gears that come with DSLR's. Well, I decided that the 35-420mm (35mm equivalent) superzoom lens of the DMC-FZ30 would be great for camping and the everyday photography I cannot do with my old Canon Powershot SD110. My DSLR gears are a bit heavy for the sort of camping I like to do and the Canon is just not far reaching enough for the normal daily needs and my Canon batteries are nearly dead. This "bridge" camera will do well for most of my camping purposes and will serve well in my daily trips into and out of Toronto.

Some nice features of the DMC-FZ30 that I like are:

- the 12x zooming happens internally inside the lens barrel, so the lens does not extend in and out
- optical image stabilization
- the camera with the lens is lighter than the D7000 alone
- it handles a bit like a DSLR and has a dial mode for aperture-priority along with the other modes found in DSLR's
- supports an external flash (I wonder if any of my flash guns will work with it)

Now, this camera is not the best camera you can find. The main problem that many people have raised is the picture quality in low light conditions--it can get noisy. Well, it's not going to be much of a problem for me. I am basically replacing my other point-and-shoot with this so it is a step up any way I look at it. Also, it was dirt cheap. I picked it up for $65 with a UV lens filter and two batteries--the camera used to be $700 six years ago. For what it can do and for the price I paid for, I think it's worth every penny I spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.